An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
It’s a cliche for a reason – there’s a lot of truth in it, especially when talking about your dental health, tooth decay, and gum disease. At Green Dentistry, we believe in helping our patients prevent dental health problems before they start. In today’s blog post, we’ll talk about 8 of the best ways you can take control of your dental health and overall wellness and stop tooth decay, gum disease, and dental health problems before they start.
Invest In an Electric Toothbrush
Tips For Using an Electric Toothbrush
- Don’t press too hard! Try holding the brush gently between two fingers.
- Replace the heads! When your brush head wears out, replace it! If it looks frizzly or discolored, replace it!
- Keep it clean! Rinse your brush head in mouthwash or under the faucet to keep bacteria from building up on the brush itself.
- Ask Your Dentist & Hygienist! If you have questions about buying or using an electric toothbrush, ask us! We’re happy to tell you everything you need to know to keep your teeth and gums happy and healthy.
Choose Foods & Beverages Thoughtfully
While genetics and the bacteria found in your mouth can affect your dental health, the truth is that you have more control over tooth decay than you may think. In addition to brushing and flossing, you must choose foods and beverages carefully.
Avoid Foods & Drinks That Are:
- Sugary – Any food high in sugar (even fruit juices!) is bad for your teeth and gums
- Acidic – Soda and coffee drinks are highly acidic and can cause demineralization and tooth decay
- Sticky – Raisins may seem like a “healthy” choice but they are very sugary and sticky. This is a bad combo when it comes to your dental health!
Choose Foods & Drinks Like:
- Leafy Greens
- High-Fiber Fruits and Veggies
- Nuts like Almonds and Legumes
- Unsweetened coffee and tea
Make Health a Priority In Your Life
Work With A Dentist You Trust
- Gentle touch
- Emphasis on your comfort
- Holistic approach
- Dedication to long-lasting, functional, and beautiful dental treatments
At every appointment, you’ll feel empowered as you play an active role in your dental care.